The best chiropractor clinic to work for in El Paso, Texas
Chiropractic for Seniors
As our bodies age, it becomes more and more important to stay healthy and active. While bones and muscles may weaken, it is still possible to be out and about and doing the things we love. Many senior citizens face chronic pain or other issues related to the body deteriorating over time. Luckily, chiropractic care has been shown to have multiple benefits for the elderly, from increased mobility to a decreased risk of falls and other injuries.
Some seniors may be concerned about receiving spinal manipulation due to the delicate nature of their bodies. However, chiropractic doctors have been specially trained to treat the sensitive needs of the elderly safely and effectively. The first step is to examine the spine to find any vertebrae that are out of place. Subluxations can lead to many problems because of nerve blockage, such as pain due to the misalignment of immune systems.
Typically the reason a senior seeks chiropractic care is for pain in the muscles and bones, with back pain being the most common complaint. However, many patients now see chiropractors for help with their ongoing health, whether as a treatment solution, complementary treatment, or for prevention of problems. Chiropractic itself holds as its philosophy the fact that the central nervous system is encased in the spinal cord. Obstructions or irregularities in the alignment of the spine can affect other organs, as well as system-wide health.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Seniors
Many patients realize at least one of the following benefits from chiropractic:
- Pain relief – It is no surprise that many people turn to spinal manipulation techniques for pain relief. Chiropractors can fix the subluxations within the spine that cause pain and inflammation, without the use of medication. It means that the chiropractor corrects the underlying cause of the pain rather than masking it with medication and removing it only temporarily.
- Natural treatment – Many medications have unpleasant side effects. With at least 92% of seniors having at least one chronic condition, this demographic must find a way to find relief without the need to take medication.
- Increased quality of life – Chiropractic care helps a person continue to have a proper range of motion in all of their extremities, which can enhance their quality of life. It is usual for many seniors to assume that they will become stiffer and less capable of doing things as they age. However, with the help of a chiropractor, this does not have to be the reality.
- Lower risk of falls – With 33% of seniors falling every year, finding a plausible solution to this problem is a priority. Chiropractic care is helpful in this area as it helps to minimize subluxations in the spine. It also helps patients learn to stretch and exercise to improve their balance and strength throughout their senior years.
- Help with chronic conditions – Certain conditions that the elderly suffer from can be treated or co-treated with chiropractic care. One study followed a group of seniors with COPD and their incidence of adverse events with the disease. After four weeks of chiropractic care, these study participants experienced a decreased number of adverse events and had a higher quality of life.